Students Best Filet Mignon
What you need:
- The freshest and plumpest filet mignon cuts that you can find!
- Garlic clove & 2 jalapeno peppers
- A BBQ & a grilling buddy
- And, of course some beers...
What you need to do:
1) Prep the stakes by rubbing them generously with salt and pepper.
2) Next, you can go about preparing the marinade for the steaks. Using a food processor or a blender, mix the garlic and peppers until a creamy paste is formed. (not too thick, yet not too thin)
*And if there are any other tastes or flavors that you love to grill with, add them to the blender. My experience however is that the simpler the better - especially when it comes to a nice piece of filet mignon!
3) Gently pierce holes into each side of each steak using either a long skinny sewing needle, or simply a sharp knife. This allows for the steak to soak in more flavors, as well as breathe more easily on the grill. Pour the garlic pepper paste into a large dish and bathe the steaks in it for 30 min to an hour, depending on the size of the steaks and your preference for taste. After this let the steaks chill in the fridge until your coals are flaming red and orange. Like So:
4) Now for the fun part, slap your pre-marinated steaks onto the grill for about 2 min on each side, or until nice grill marks are visible. This is to sear the steaks, and to seal in all the delicious and tasty flavors that the meat has been soaking in.
5) At this point you will need to create a "pool shaped" construction of foil for the steaks to finish cooking in. This is so that the meat is able to cook all the way through, without getting overly black and burnt. With the help of tongs, set each steak onto the inner surface of your foil pool. Pour the remaining garlic pepper marinade over the meat, so as to let it slow cook in the juices. Flip the steaks regularly, but keep the cover on the BBQ as much as you can in order to retain as much of the heat as possible. Once your steaks are cooked to a nice and pink- medium rare (or however you prefer) then they are ready to be removed, and devoured!
6) Don't forget to grab a Cold One! Slice some bread and start munchin...
Cheers & Enjoy! *~ Grill On ~*